The image shows plastic trash being burnt in Khatmandu
So, is it safe to burn plastic?
Well it never burns easily – it melts and bubbles. It will burn eventually but you have to keep heating it – click here if you want to know why.
And, when you do set fire to plastic it gives off a terrible smell – at least in my experience, as a child, playing round the back of the derelict garages I hasten to add.
>But is it bad for you? It could be lethal.
The smell according to the naked scientist could be anything. They say
It could be just a simple hydrocarbon, or it could contain cyanides, or PCB’s, or lots of other substances. Without knowing what the plastic was …..it would be difficult to know what are the likely volatiles it would create…. volatiles given off from plastics in house fires are a major cause of death.”
PCBs? – thats a dioxin and dioxins are nasty! Eeek!
So, to conclude, it depends on the plastic then?
Yes it is apparently safe to burn polythene – it can even be reprocessed as briquettes to make a very efficient fuel (ifenergy).
But it’s a big NO if its a halogenated plastics, i.e one of those made from chlorine or fluorine
Halogenated plastics include:
Chlorine based plastics:
Chlorinated polyethylene (CPE)
Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC)
Chlorosulfonated polyethylene (CSPE)
Polychloroprene (CR or chloroprene rubber, marketed under the brand name of Neoprene)
Fluorine based plastics:
Fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP)
Burning these plastics can release dioxins. Dioxins are unintentionally, but unavoidably produced during the manufacture of materials containing chlorine, including PVC and other chlorinated plastic feedstocks.
Dioxin is a known human carcinogen and the most potent synthetic carcinogen ever tested in laboratory animals. A characterization by the National Institute of Standards and Technology of cancer causing potential evaluated dioxin as over 10,000 times more potent than the next highest chemical (diethanol amine), half a million times more than arsenic and a million or more times greater than all others.
The World Health Organization said
“Once dioxins have entered the environment or body, they are there to stay due to their uncanny ability to dissolve in fats and to their rock-solid chemical stability.”
That is because dioxins are classed as one of the persistant organic pollutants, POPs, also known as as PBTs (Persistent, Bioaccumulative and Toxic) or TOMPs (Toxic Organic Micro Pollutants.)
POPs are a small set of toxic chemicals that remain intact in the environment for long periods and accumulate in the fatty tissues of animals. They are extremely toxic and cause all manner of illnesses. You can find out more about POPS here
The Uk Government states on their website
Burning plastic, rubber or painted materials creates poisonous fumes and can have damaging health effects for people who have asthmatic or heart conditions.
This is covered under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Its best not to be burning plastic on an open fire unless you know exactly what it is made up of.
While there are some plastics that are supposed to be safe to burn, personally I won’t be burning plastic on my bonfire.
But is it safe to send off to my local waste disposal plant where they burn it in an incinerator?
It is claimed that all plastics can be burnt safely in the modern industrial incinerators – but only those built to high specifications.
Opinions vary wildly as to wether this is the case with environmentalists saying we are poisoning the very air that we breathe.
Many of these plants generate electricity from the heat produced so in effect the plastic is recycled.
The resulting ash from incineration plants has to be disposed of and so presnets yet another waste disposal challenge.
For more information go to
Waste Plastic Blogspot about the technology behind waste incinerators.
Zero Waste America a crtiqua of waste incinerators.
Burning Bins the problems of trash being burnt on open fires