post

Polyethylene terephthalat PET or PETE plastic code 1  is made from carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, just like paper.

It is claimed that, just like paper, it can be safely burnt and will only produce carbon dioxide and water leaving no toxic residue.

I came across this nuggets out there in google land and as you know panning  in tham thar rivers often finds you only fools gold.

So lets see if I am richer than Midas or talking through my arsk no questions.

Google MSDS followed by the product name ie MSDS Polyethylene terephthalat

This pulls up the Material Safety Data Sheet for PET

Solid pellets with slight or no odor. Spilled pellets create slipping hazard. Can burn in a fire creating dense toxic smoke. Molten plastic can cause severe thermal burns. Fumes produced during melt processing may cause eye, skin and respiratory tract irritation.
Secondary operations, such as grinding, sanding or sawing, can produce dust which may present a respiratory hazard. Product in pellet form is unlikely to cause irritation
A useful guide for crafters on burning and melting plastic can be found here.

 

BLOG STATS As of 01.29.2017 onward have been counting the number people who have read each post. WHY CUT PLASTIC About 100 million tons of plastic are produced each year and much of it is used to make one-use, disposable items. Because plastic doesn't biodegrade these items, though only used for moments can last for decades, centuries, possibly forever. We are creating ever lasting rubbish in unsustainable amounts. It is polluting the environment, maiming even killing animals, poisoning fish and may be poisoning us.

2 thoughts on “How to find out if it’s toxic….

  1. your link at the end of your article to “a useful guide for crafters” just redirects to this same page. (i’m trying to be a good steward and not burn plastics that are harmful for releasing toxic fumes.)

Leave a Reply