post

Is a persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic chemical – ie one that lasts a long time, accumulates in the food chain and is, well, toxic. Read more here…

Humans absorb  antimony  from the  air, drinking water and  food – but also by skin contact with soil and contaminated substances.

Exposure to “relatively high concentrations of antimony (9 mg/m3 of air)” over long periods of time ( doesn’t say how long is long)  can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and lungs.

Greater exposure may result in lung diseases, heart problems, diarrhea, severe vomiting and stomach ulcers.

It is not known whether antimony can cause cancer or reproductive failure.

Animals

“Relatively high” levels may kill rats, rabbits and guinea pigs and can cause damage  to the lungs, heart, liver and kidney of a rat.

Low levels of antimony in the air, experienced for a long time, may result in eye irritation, hair loss and lung damage in animals. Even shorter exposures of a couple of months may result in fertility problems.

Dogs may experience heart problems if exposed to low levels of antimony.

Environment

Antimony is most often found in soil.

It can travel long distances through water.

Products

Antimony is used in

  • Polyester – a synthetic fabric -you always knew those slacks were wrong!
  • PET bottles – used in the beverage industry

Its is shown to leach from both those products.

With thanks to

 Lentech and EPA

 

BLOG STATS As of 01.29.2017 onward have been counting the number people who have read each post. WHY CUT PLASTIC About 100 million tons of plastic are produced each year and much of it is used to make one-use, disposable items. Because plastic doesn't biodegrade these items, though only used for moments can last for decades, centuries, possibly forever. We are creating ever lasting rubbish in unsustainable amounts. It is polluting the environment, maiming even killing animals, poisoning fish and may be poisoning us.

Leave a Reply