Put together by Ecoforce
- All types of plastic are recyclable.
- Advantages of recycling plastic:
– Conservation of non-renewable fossil fuel
– Plastic production uses 8% of the world’s oil production, 4% as feedstock and 4% during manufacture.
– Reduced consumption of energy.
– Reduced amounts of solid waste going to landfill.
– Reduced emissions of carbon-dioxide (CO2), nitrogen-oxide (NO) and sulphur-dioxide (SO2).
- The world’s annual consumption of plastic materials has increased from around 5 million tonnes in the 1950s to nearly 100 million tonnes today. (WRAP)
- One tonne of plastics is equivalent to 20,000 two litre drinks bottles or 120,000 carrier bags (LINPAC )
- The amount of plastic waste generated annually in the UK is estimated to be nearly 5 million tonnes. (WRAP)
- The UK currently recycles approximately 24% of plastic while a European country like Germany recycles 44% (British Plastic Federation)
- Plastic makes up 9% of average household waste. (WRAP)
- All branches of Tesco and Sainsbury’s offer a plastic bag recycling service
- A report on the production of carrier bags made from recycled rather than virgin polythene concluded that the use of recycled plastic resulted in the following environmental benefits:
– reduction of energy consumption by two-thirds
– production of only a third of the sulphur dioxide and half of the nitrous oxide
– reduction of water usage by nearly 90%
– reduction of carbon dioxide generation by two-and-a-half times
- 1.8 tonnes of oil are saved for every tonne of recycled polythene produced
- Over 50%% of litter found on UK beaches in 2008 was plastic litter, an increase of more than 120% since 1994.
- 75% of post consumer plastic waste is sent to landfill
- Around 45 billion individual items, approximately one million tonnes of domestic plastics, are disposed of every year in the UK (WRAP)
- Every year an estimated 4.5 billion plastic bags are given away by UK supermarkets.
- Incinerating 10,000 tons of waste creates 1 job, landfilling the same amount creates 6 jobs while recycling the same 10,000 tons creates 36 jobs.
- Plastic bags and other plastic rubbish thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures every year.
- Plastics can take up to 400 years to break down in a landfill.
- If you lined up all the polystyrene foam cups made in just 1 day they would circle the earth.
- In one year along, approximately 684,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions were saved by recycling the UK’s plastics, the equivalent of taking 216,000 cars off the road! (BPF).
- There are about 1,000 milk jugs and other bottles in a recycled plastic park bench. (RECOUP)
- Recycling just one plastic bottle saves enough energy to power a 60W light bulb for six hours (Recoup)
BLOG STATS As of 01.29.2017 onward have been counting the number people who have read each post. WHY CUT PLASTIC About 100 million tons of plastic are produced each year and much of it is used to make one-use, disposable items. Because plastic doesn't biodegrade these items, though only used for moments can last for decades, centuries, possibly forever. We are creating ever lasting rubbish in unsustainable amounts. It is polluting the environment, maiming even killing animals, poisoning fish and may be poisoning us.